Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Upclose with Roberto


Real names: Robert Banda
Entertainment Zambia caught up with Roberto recently…..
EZ: hey man who is Roberto?
R: Roberto is a young who loves doing lots of things apart from what people know me for, singing

EZ: when exactly did you start singing?
R :( he sighs…) well let’s see, I begun singing in 1996 in kabwe.i actually used to rap. Then in 1998 I started singing. From there I went to South Africa for my school from grade 11 up to college even started working from there.

EZ: alright, allow me to take you back, when where you born? Or how old you are?
R :( he smiles) hey man I’m in my twenties…yeah just know that...

EZ: ...where you singing in South Africa or you were doing something else?
R: I used to sing in English but basically I used to do lots of song writing. By the way I’ve written tracks for herold, and worked with a guy called junior from the boomshake fame and I recorded an all English album from there.ive also worked with malaika whilst in SA.

EZ: you mentioned herold,is he the herold we know?
R: yaa, the guy who does gospel…

EZ: what where you studying in SA?
R: well… I did filming. Film production and so on…

EZ: ok when did you come back in zed?
R: I came back in 2005…That’s when I began recording my album.

EZ: talking about your album…it didn’t make an impact that it deserves….
R: you are right..There were too many complications.

EZ: what kind of complications?
R: it all begun when I was recording at beatmasters and I felt like leaving.so I left and started recording at soulche studios in chelston
Then after the album was complete I took it to sounds investments and the like. Then guys from beatmasters came in saying they still have rights and basically wanted to have a share from the album, which wasn’t supposed to be the case. So from there onwards I just didn’t do anything to the album.i just forgot about the album due to the same complications.

Q: anyways man I don’t want to dwell much on that…what are planning on now?
A:im in the studios and and I’ve recorded about half way, I don’t want to rush and am helping out my brother(general ozzy).as you are aware he has a brand new album….

Q: alright man, tell me about your Dee jaying? i know you are with one of the local stations….
A: deejaying is something that I knew I could do this coz I come from a family that is so much into broadcasting, I’ve got brothers who work for various media houses so basically that’s the type of family I come from….I joined Qfm 1st January this year, I actually was never auditioned I got in straight…before this I used to be with Hot fm on a voluntary basis…I got the QFM job through Kb who listened to my shoe and was impressed with me…that’s when he called 3rill to try me on. And the rest is history… (..He smiles)
Q: taking you away from music are your parents around?
A: yes they are, my mom is in kabwe and my dad is in Australia.
Q: Are you married?
A: no … [...he pauses] no am not but am seeing someone.
EZ: ok how do you handle fame?
R: I set limits in everything I do. I like keeping low profile and doing that which is right before God. by the way my advice to the youth is be responsible we are indeed the future leaders, and remember Aids is real.
EZ: well Roberto it’s been a pleasure talking to you and thank you very much for your time
R: you welcome and the pleasure is all mine

No comments: